CAAT PEERS® for Teens is a 16 week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated teens in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session teens are taught important social skills through didactic instruction, live demonstrations by trained coaches, and extensive practice of these skills during real play activities (e.g. playing sports, board games, etc.) while receiving live individualized coaching from our clinical staff.
Parents attend weekly parent sessions, where they are taught how to assist their teen in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- How to be a good host during get-togethers
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to be a good sport
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- How to deal with peer pressure
How to enroll
We are currently recruiting individuals who are motivated to make and keep friends. The teen program is appropriate for teens 13-18 years old. Enrollment is limited. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent/Caregiver participation is required.
- Have friendship problems
- Teens in middle school or high school
- Teens must be interested in attending the program
- Call our office at (240) 424-0184 or contact us here to complete a brief confidential phone screen with a member of our staff.
- Complete our confidential online application here.
- Come in (parent/caregiver and teen) for a 1-hour intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your teen.
Dates and availability
Duration: 16 Weeks
Currently Enrolling: ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS for Spring 2020 Schedule to Start February, 4, 2020
Planned Days: Tuesday Evenings (5:00-6:30 pm)
Location: 8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 1000, Chevy Chase, MD 20815-5800