Unstuck and on Target® is an executive function intervention for middle schoolers that targets goal setting and flexible problem solving. The program offers an engaging, interactive curriculum, adapted for adolescents from the research-based curriculum presented in Unstuck and On Target®.
Unstuck and on Target® is appropriate for middle school students who are performing on grade level, are highly verbal, and can access a verbally based instructional format. Adolescents struggling with flexibility, problem solving, goal setting, motivation, and follow through benefit from the skills taught in this program. Group sizes are small to allow for individualized attention. Parents are required to attend parent-group sessions where they learn to apply strategies and interventions from Unstuck and on Target® in daily life.
Topics of Instruction for Students
- Flexibility and Power
- Accepting and letting go of disappointment
- Efficient Planning
- Realistic vs. unrealistic goals
- Evaluating a plan and identifying obstacles
- Making a Plan B
Topics of Instruction for Parents
- Differentiating a “can’t” from a “won’t”
- Communicating effectively with a teen
- Managing increasing expectations to support learning
- Effective coaching using Unstuck and on Target® scripts
Group Duration: 12 weeks, programs begin in the Fall (Sept) and Spring (Feb) semesters
Meeting Day & Time: Wednesday Evenings (6:30-7:30 pm)
Location: 8401 Connecticut Ave, Suite 1000, Chevy Chase, MD 20815.
- Complete the confidential online application below.
- A member of our staff will process the application and call to schedule a free phone intake to discuss program details.
- Following the intake, both the parent and student enrolling in the program must attend a 1-hour group meet-and-greet session to determine if admission is appropriate.