Intensive Social Intervention Program to Improve Executive Functioning, On Task and Flexible Behaviors
Unstuck and On Target® is a 14-week evidence-based curriculum designed to improve flexibility in children with autism and ADHD. The program includes moderated groups for both clients and parents, where each learn strategies they can work on together to improve generalization of skills. While children engage in group activities, the adults participate in clinical sessions that combine lecture, role playing and observation of the child group – enabling them to apply Unstuck skills in everyday scenarios, from morning routines to getting homework done.
The program is appropriate for students age 8-11 who are on grade level academically, highly verbal and able to learn through a verbal-based instructional format.
Topics of Instruction for Students
- Handle unexpected events
- Cope with disappointment and frustration
- Keep an open mind
- Navigate disagreements with friends
- Set and achieve goals
- Distinguish a “big deal” from a “little deal”
- Learn how to compromise
- Create a Plan B when Plan A doesn’t work
- How to self-advocate
- How to be a successful group member
Topics of Instruction for Parents
- Support their child in using Unstuck strategies
- Tell a “can’t” from a “won’t
- Strategies for being more effective coaches
- Help their child successfully navigate their day
- Help their child reach goals at home and school
- How to embed Unstuck and On Target strategies into various daily routines
Group Duration: 12 weeks, programs begin in the Fall (Sept) and Spring (March) semesters
Meeting Day & Time: Wednesdays 5-6pm
Location: 8401 Connecticut Ave, Suite 700, Chevy Chase, MD 20815
*Following guidance from local and federal public health agencies we have implemented the following guidelines:
- Any group participant 5 years or older is required to be vaccinated.
- Regardless of vaccination status, everyone is required to wear a mask during group.
**These services may be covered by your insurance company. LISS funding is applicable for our executive functioning programs.
Please call the office if you have any questions/concerns.
- Complete the confidential online application below.
- A member of our staff will process the application and call to schedule a free, phone intake to discuss the program.
- Following the intake, both the parent and child enrolling in the program must attend a 1-hour group meet-and-greet session to determine if admission is appropriate.