Superheroes Social Skills is a 12-week evidence-based curriculum for elementary aged children designed to improve their social skills. This program is open to children ages 6-9 years old. This curriculum uses a multi-media approach including the use of video instruction, short, animated clips and comic books to teach specific skills. Children also practice new skills by engaging in role-plays, in-group practice, and games that are moderated by the group facilitators. Each week participants will be given practice assignments so they can use their skills at home or in community settings.
Superheroes includes a weekly parent group where parents learn how to assist their child by providing feedback/coaching for weekly practice assignments. Weekly attendance for parents/caregivers is a program requirement.
Topics of Instruction for Students
- Following directions
- Reducing anxiety
- How to participate in a group
- Imitation skills
- Body basics (listening/attending)
- Expressing wants and needs
- Taking turns
- Recognizing emotions in self and others
- Perspective taking
Topics of Instruction for Parents
- Support their child in using social skills
- Strategies for being more effective coaches
- How to incorporate skills their child is learning into everyday situations
- Maintaining skills across time/settings
Group Duration: 12 weeks begin in the Fall (Sept)
Meeting Day and Time: Thursdays 5-6pm
Location: 8401 Connecticut Ave, Suite 1000, Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- Complete the confidential application below
- A member of our staff will process the application and call to schedule a free phone intake to discuss the program.
- After the phone intake, both the child and parent/caregiver must attend an orientation appointment with our clinician to determine if enrollment in the program is appropriate.