PEERS® for Young Adults is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated young adults, ages 18-30, who are interested in learning ways to make and keep friends, navigate social interactions, mange conflict and rejection, and develop romantic relationships. Young adults are taught social skills by didactic and role play models, that can be practiced in group sessions while receiving immediate, individualized coaching from our clinical staff.
Parents/Caregivers are taught how to assist their young adults in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through social coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Topics of Instruction:
- Finding common interests by trading information
- Using appropriate conversational skills to start and maintain conversations
- Finding sources to make friends
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit group conversations
- How to handle rejection and direct or indirect bullying
- How to organize and have successful get-togethers
- Rules for forms of electronic communication
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- Dating etiquette/skills
How to enroll
The young adult program is appropriate for individuals 18-30 years old. Enrollment is limited. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent/Caregiver participation is required.
- Have friendship problems
- Completed high school
- Interested and motivated to attend the program
- Young adults must agree to participate in the program
- Young adults must have a consistent social coach willing to attend the program each week
- Complete the online application.
- Upon receiving your application, we will contact you to schedule a brief phone intake with our clinician.
- Following the phone intake, both the young adult applicant and the parent/caregiver social coach attend an intake appointment with our clinician to determine if program enrollment is appropriate.
Program Duration: 16 Weeks
Session Days: Tuesday evenings
Session Time: 7:15-8:45 pm
Location: Due to Covid-19 restrictions, groups are currently meeting virtually