PEERS® for Young Adults (Ages 18-29) is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated young adults, who are interested in learning ways to make and keep friends, navigate social interactions, mange conflict and rejection and develop romantic relationships. During each group session, young adults are taught important social skill by didactic and role play models. They are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session while receiving individualized coaching from our clinical staff.
Parents/Caregivers are taught how to assist their young adults in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through social coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to use appropriate conversational skills including starting and maintaining conversations
- How to find sources of friends
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit group conversations
- How to handle rejection and direct or indirect bullying
- How to organize and have successful get-togethers
- Rules for forms of electronic communication
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- Dating etiquette/skills
How to enroll
We are currently recruiting individuals who are motivated to make and keep friends. The young adult program is appropriate for individuals 18-30 years old. Enrollment is limited. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent/Caregiver participation is required.
- Have friendship problems
- Young adults ages 18-30 (graduated high school)
- Young adults must be interested in attending the program
- Young adults must agree to participate in the program
- Young adults must have a consistent social coach willing to attend the program each week
- Call our office at (240) 424-0184 or contact us here to complete a brief confidential phone screen with a member of our staff.
- Complete our confidential online application here.
- Come in (parent/caregiver and young adult) for a 1-hour intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your young adult.
Dates and availability – Program offered in Spring and Fall
Duration: 16 Weeks
Currently Enrolling: ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SPRING 2019
Planned Days: Tuesday evenings in Chevy Chase, MD
Time: 7:15-8:45 pm
Location: 8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 1000, Chevy Chase, MD 20815